Saturday, February 13, 2010

Wow me!

I am starting to hone in on what is good, what is mediocre, what is poor, and what is pure schlock. If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then it is my criteria that quantifies it. I have struggled with mediocrity not of my own doing, although I am guilty of allowing it to happen. My wife and kids often razz me about being "old" when I complain about something being poor when they found it good. But I am pretty sure I am a good judge in what really is worthy of being called good.

I know it when I see it and I don't want to ever produce or be fooled by smoke and mirrors, hype, or lack of true effort. So if you asked me what I consider good, well Ill point you to Pink's performance at the 2010 Grammys. It takes a lot of skill to perform, and each and every performer up there worked hard. But there is a difference between the average performance of Taylor Swift and that performed by the more entertaining Lady Gaga. And there is a huge difference between Lady Gaga and Pink. Pink made the jump from same ol' dance and sing to art. She raised the bar, made it different, made it beautiful in my opinion.

So when I don't laugh at the schlock passed off as comedy, yawn at movies, or roll my eyes at the next big thing, don't look at me like there is something wrong. It isn't in the same league of what others can do. It's nothing new or innovative - been there, heard and seen that already. Next!

There is a difference between performance and art. If you want to be mediocre keep doing what you do, never change, and copy the next guy. Otherwise wow me.

No comments: